Tuesday, July 31, 2012

He gave us Himself

Each summer before we come home, we would record testimonies from some of our flock and share it with friends back home as an encouragement. This past Sunday we were able to do that. Andy was able to share what the Father has done this past year in the lives of many. And I am continually amazed at the depths of understanding that our Father chooses to give these young people that He has entrusted to us.

One of the girls shared about her trials in the past year and how she had cried out to the Father time and again and yet her trials have not gone away. It appeared as if none of her requests for her struggles to lessen were granted. Upon hearing this, many mainstreamers would tend to answer, He has His good timing, He is teaching you perseverance, His grace is sufficient etc. all of which are truths. But what is most beautiful is at the end of her sharing, she said, "Even though He didn't give me what I asked, He gave me Himself."

Often times we can try to answer many questions in life with cliches, pop psychology, and even verses in scriptures that are truths and yet miss the big point in all of scripture. I am touched by how my sister has been blessed to see how He alone can satisfy. It is true that time has not come yet for her troubles to go away, it is true she will learn to persevere in all this, it is true that the Father's grace is sufficient to carry her through her tribulations, but in the end, is that what matters? Is the absence of pain and suffering in the right timing what matters? Is my virtue and long-suffering what matters most? Is knowing that He will pull me through with His help and by His grace enough? I too am learning that it is not. I too am being reminded that if my focus is still on the "thing" I am still missing the point, missing the beauty of it all. I too am praying that I can say with joy in the midst of my suffering that though He did not give me what I asked, He gave me Himself. To see and to savor our Creator is the uttermost joy. To the praise of His glory.

No comments: