Monday, October 13, 2008

"Lễ Khai Giảng"


A month into the term, the school just held its formal Opening Ceremony, with the presence of some of the big officials and party members from the city of Hai Phong. Again, as foreign teachers, we were "extended the invitations," and we got to sit right behind the rows reserved for all the dignitaries. There were speeches, music, performances, and awards. Among other things, the rector of the school was officially honored with the title "Anh Hùng Lao Động," so now he has quite an impressive title in front of his name: "Nhà Giáo Nhân Dân Giáo Sư Thạc Sĩ Anh Hùng Lao Động Vương Toàn Thuyên." In English, it may mean "Educator of the People Professor Doctorate Labor Hero ..." (someone please correct me).
I recognized some of the music because I remember hearing them some 30 years ago.
One of my classes were also invited. They sat in the back, and one of the students exchanged some text messages with me asking me what I thought of the whole thing. It was interesting to hear what she thought of it.

No comments: