Sunday, April 19, 2009

First visit to the doc

We made our very first visit to the doctor’s today since we’ve been in Vietnam. Caleb has been having this fever for over a week and so we decided to take him in. The nearest clinic of Western standard is in Hanoi. So we took a 2-hour bus ride this morning there. Caleb was given some antibiotics to be taken if his fever continues for a few more days. We are grateful for having gone through this exercise so we know better next time what to do.

The doctor and I had a conversation about being in Vietnam. He’s Belgian and has been in Vietnam for 12 years. He asked me if I am happy here. I wasn’t sure how to answer the question but I did tell him that life is definitely not as comfortable here as it is in the US. I guess I have to say I am not happy in a secular sense, but I do have much joy within.

Many students express their sympathy towards our adjustment here in this town. Though I miss having a kitchen sink, clothes dryer, and many other perks of life in the US, I am grateful for all I’ve been given (and not been given) here. Afterall, who said I deserve to have what’s been provided for me? My creator, out of his sovereignty and grace, granted me life and so much more. I am simply humbled by his mercy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hope Caleb recover soon. Hihi