Monday, April 20, 2009

Shopping for medicine for the first time

Last week, in addition to having fever and cough, Caleb also had green stuff oozing out of his eyes. His eyes were red, a little swollen, and itchy. We suspected it was infection, so I went across the street to a hole in the wall shop that sells medicine. I told the lady I needed something for eye infection. She looked on the shelf and grabbed a something that looked like a sort of eye-wash solution and gave it to me saying, " 10,000VND." I read the Vietnamese on the box, opened it, and read the piece of paper inside. I understood enough to guess it was just a Vietnamese-made solution for itchy eyes caused by dust or allergies. I asked the lady if she had anything else and she gave me a more expensive box with a Japanese brand. I read that one and I think it was something similar, used to treat strained eyes. There was nothing else, so I gave the lady 10,000VND and took the little box home. I googled the name of the drug but found nothing, of course.
I applied the drops to Caleb's eyes a few times that day, but they didn't seem to improve the following day. So, I got on my bike and rode farther, visiting three other local shops. At one better-looking shop, the guy didn't want to talk to me and just told me to go see a doctor and come back with a prescription. I was surprised!!! I stood there and thought, "that would be a lot of work! how would I go about finding a doctor here?" So, I got back on my bike and went to the next shop. This one was not as big, but the lady didn't tell me to go away. Again, I asked for something to treat eye infection, and she pulled out a box from under the counter. It was the same box I bought the day before from the shop across the street. I asked for something else, and she gave me the same Japanese-brand eye wash. I asked if there were something else stronger, she asked me how much money I was willing to spend. I didn't know how much to say, so I just told her something more expensive. She went to the back of the store and came back with a small box with the name Tobrex and said, "38,000VND." I saw the word "Tobramycin" on the box and knew it was antibiotic. Next I looked for where it was made. It came from Belgium. I asked the lady if it could be used for children, and she said no. I asked if she had something similar to this, but for children, and she said no. I opened the box and read the paper on the inside, it didn't mention anything about children. Since I was desperate, I decided to buy it. I gave her the money and rode home. Once I got home, I googled the word Tobrex and found good information on it, including the fact that it could be used on children. I gave it to Caleb, and two days later, the green gooey stuff was gone and his eyes were back to normal!
Belgian drugs and Belgian doctor, in Vietnam...

1 comment:

Kim said...

Do you need anything else for your health. I can send something to you in May. I have friend go to VN.