Sunday, May 31, 2009

Another World Another Life

We're just one hour and a half north of HP now, but we're in a totally different world! Although still in Asia, it feels like the west. Streets are filled with only cars and buses, not a single bicycle or motorbike. Modern shops and malls and restaurants everywhere. I fit in very well here among the many western tourists. No more stares from the locals--in fact, it's hard to tell who is local and who is not. I went into a supermarket yesterday, after spending a couple of hours in the library, to look for a razor that runs on 220V, getting ready for the next school year in Vietnam. The young Chinese store clerk was able to speak very decent English and answered all my questions. She was impressive!
At lunch we went into a small eatery that specialized in pot stickers. They were delicious. For dinner, we went to a nice restaurant and had a lot of different good dishes. So, the whole day was filled with eating and shopping--very different from a typical day in Vietnam. We're living another life here. No more students coming around, no more preparing for lessons, no more teaching, no more grading...
This morning after church, we had dimsum lunch with a family who supports us financially. They asked us about our past year in Vietnam, and we were able to tell them a few things about Vietnam that they hadn't heard before. I also brought my laptop and showed them some pictures of the students that we got to know. One of the sons asked if we drove a car and ate dimsum in VN. We told him that we rode a bike and there were no dim-sum food where we lived. The father, who is a retired electrical engineering professor, was surprised to find out I used to be an electrical engineer and asked why I changed profession. I told him I hated English when I was in college and changing professions was not my idea.
After lunch, I said goodbye and told them I would not see them for another year. Doing what I do, I have to get used to meeting new people and then saying goodbye to them after a short time. We stay in touch with just a few during a year because everyone is so busy with their own lives. For most, we see them once a year for a few minutes.
Teaching is a little like that. We see the students in class for one year, and then they move on to different classes the following year. We only get to see a handful of them again if they come by to visit. But I value each encounter with each student, and treasure each relationship at whatever level. I know certain students more than others because there were more interactions with them, but I am glad for each opportunity that I had with every single one of them. Although we may see each other just once a year, I am at peace with it and know that the relationship is still there no matter what. I will see them again someday, so it's never a true 'goodbye' but more of a 'see you again,' or a 'tam biet' in VNese.
Thinking back, what am I grateful for this past year?
I am grateful for:
1. An opportunity to teach and live in VN
2. An opportunity to meet and get to know a lot of VNese students
3. An opportunity to spend a lot of time with some of the students
4. An opportunity to visit some students and see how they live
5. An opportunity to get involved in the students' lives and know what they go through
6. An opportunity to share part of our lives with them
7. An opportunity to meet and get to know many other ELIC teachers who are teaching in VN, Laos, Cambodia, China, and Mongolia
8. An opportunity to work with wonderful teammates
9. An opportunity to learn to depend on the Almighty and Jehova Jireh every single day
10. An opportunity to see the Father's blessings and goodness on the VNese students

It was an incredible year filled with many changes. We were blessed with very nice students who appreciated us and responded to us with their sincere love and kindness. We hope that they will stay in touch and continue to grow with new ELIC teachers, and that we'll have many opportunities to visit them from time to time.

1 comment:

Thuy_nhoc said...

thank u so much, my dear teacher!