Thursday, September 11, 2008

A girl with glaucoma

A third year English major student came to visit our teammates today. Her name is N. She has glaucoma and I could see her eyes bulging out. I was introduced to her and talked with her a little bit. She seemed quiet and soft spoken and had a lot on her mind. She started asking me about my Vietnamese background and told me she had a chance to visit the south last year. I asked her how she liked to people in the south and what she thought of the south. I told her I lived in California and she asked me if I watched the Paris by Night music videos. We exchanged names of our favorite singers. I left and she stayed to have lunch with my teammates.
N has gone to see foreign doctors in Saigon about her glaucoma and was told there was nothing they could do for her. She will eventually become blind. She had one brother, who died some years ago, so now it’s just her and her parents. Her dad just broke his legs in a motorbike accident. Her mom has turned their house (which is just one small room with a loft where N sleeps) into a place where gamblers would come everyday to gamble. So the house is filled with cigarette smoke and noise, and N can’t study and her glaucoma gets worse. Her mom won’t let up, so N left home and is now bunking in with a classmate who is living here on campus. This classmate shares a small little dorm room (like ours, except without AC and bathroom) with 7 other students. There are 4 sets of bunk beds, and these beds have no mattresses. I just don’t know how N is going to survive and for how long. I am on my knees for this one.

No comments: