Saturday, September 6, 2008

I need money

The ATM machines in this town don’t like my card. I biked all over the place and tried 8 ATM machines, and none of them took my card. It had worked fine in Hanoi. So, a few days ago, we were down to our last few dollars. We actually had to watch what we ordered at a small restaurant so that we had enough money to pay. And we had to borrow some from our teammates. Yesterday, a local friend of our teammates was nice enough to help me out. I took the bus (first time in VN) to downtown Haiphong, where she met me and took me on her motorbike and drove around town from one ATM to another to let me try my card. It was raining the whole time (it has been raining heavily every day this week) and we just tried one after another. We ended up finding two that worked, and I got some cash. She also took me to a guitar shop, where I got a used guitar for $50USD. She then dropped me off at a bus stop and went to work, and I took the bus back to the school. It was a little tricky maneuvering the guitar on a packed bus, making sure the bus driver knew to make a stop at the school, and jumping off the bus holding the guitar and a motorbike helmet while the bus was still moving. I got back to the school alive, but I was pretty tired. I felt a lot better, however, having some money to buy food with. I am sure it was weird for people to see a girl carrying a guy on her motorbike. They probably knew I was a foreigner.

No comments: