Wednesday, September 17, 2008

My second class.



I taught my second class, a “Cử Nhân” (bachelor’s) class, Tuesday morning. I also had them for Listening, so I got to reuse the same lesson plan. These students for some reasons were more responsive and lively than the ones in the other class on Monday, so we were all wondering how they were so different. There were 56 students in this class!

Again, I walked to class (3 minutes from my dorm room to the classroom – the shortest commute ever!) carrying my backpack and the CD player. It was 8am, but boy was it hot! Same as the day before, I made my ‘grand’ entrance into the classroom and they all stood up. I felt embarrassed as I asked them to sit down. I plugged the CD player in, got my stuff out of the backpack, walked down the platform, greeted them, gave them a short pep talk, and jumped straight into the lesson. Since these students were more responsive, I got a little farther with them then I had with the other class. Same old thing again, they asked me my Vietnamese name, I wrote it on the board, but they requested that I say it out loud in Vietnamese. I complied and they got a big kick out of it. They repeated it with the Northern accent. I told them I would speak Vietnamese more if they would try hard and speak English more in class (I was desperate—anything to get them to practice their English more). By the way, there’s only one Dao in this class, so she will be the only one getting an A++ in this class.

No comments: